Sick Drummer Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Blast Beat Help?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
  • Page:
TOPIC: Blast Beat Help?
wormwood4o
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Blast Beat Help? 4 Years ago Karma: 0
Experimenting with french grip has really help me out..........

Learning the moeller technique is something very important in blast beats, for me that is ; might wanna try that out

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Wintris
Retardation Drummer
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
ICQ#: 416973628 Gender: Male Official Retaliation Homepage wintris@live.com Location: Germany Birthday: 02/11
Re:Blast Beat Help? 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
There are quite a few techniques that make your blast beats faster, smoother and more powerful. The secret behind a blast beat is that it sounds best when played as powerful as possible and tight as hell. For starters try to strengthen your left arm as much as your right arm. Focus on rudiments (with Charly Wilcoxons book "All American Drummer" for example). While doing that also concentrate on the movements of your left hand. Start slowly and don't let them get sloppy. Also, as mentioned, look at the exercises from Derek Roddy. The metronome is your friend. You also should decide which technique feels comfortable for you so that you can focus in developing it thoroughly. Basically you can decide between two methods. finger control or matched grip. With finger control you can play very fast but it´s difficult to involve the moeller technique (it´s still possible) but it´s nearly impossible to play accents. With matched grip it´s the opposite way. You can do a lot of cool accentuation while playing but to get faster is pretty hard and exhaustion begins a lot faster. You have to work hard to bring the matched grip to a proper level but I can guarantee you that it´s also worth it.

Logged Logged

Retaliation - NEW Song Vanitas Free Download!
Wintris Youtube Channel
JeffWillet
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Blast Beat Help? 2 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I think everyone has the right idea with starting slower with a metronome. In addition to that, I'd like to add one thing: Try short bursts at the tempo you want to end up at ... if you start at 180, set the metronome to 260-280 and do smaller groups of 4 taps in a row with one hand until that feels comfortable. Then move to 6 taps in a row, then 8, then either 10, 12, 16, etc. I think with a combination of what everyone's saying, it should go pretty well!

Looks like its been a few months since this was originally posted, how's it going so far?

Logged Logged

-solo project The Gathering Mist (instrumental/percussive/progressive)
facebook.com/TheGatheringMistMusic
youtube.com/AEdrums
-ex-Aborted Existence
-session work for drums & percussion
Amnesia
Check out my you tube drum cover channel!
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Sergio_rancid@hotmail.it Location: Venosa (Italy) Birthday: 01/17
Re:Blast Beat Help? 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0
For first start with French grip and try to keep control see my work here it could help youtube.com/user/xXObscureNightmareXx

Logged Logged

AscarisDrummer
www.facebook.com/ascarisofficial
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Blast Beat Help? 1 Year, 4 Months ago Karma: 0
I know some great exercises to help develop finger coordination and strength. Something I feel alot of drummers forget. By doing these exercises at least twice a week, you'll improve control and add power to your blast.

Recipe for improving finger control

Ingredients:

Metronome
Timer
Practice pad

Were going to work on individual fingers, this exercise is 5 30 second rounds with 15 second rest in between.

Start by getting comfy at your practice pad and holding your sticks as you normally would. Starting on the right hand move all fingers away apart from your middle finger and fulcrum, play eighth notes at a slow tempo (I started at 80bpm remember the name of the game is developing control and strength) for 2 bars of 4 then do the same thing on the left hand. After that do the same for your ring finger, then pinky then back up.

I recommend downloading a boxing timer app, I use "impetus"

Eventually, when comfortable. Add extra tempo or extra time to taste.

I hope this helps. I hope my description makes sense.
Feel free to ask questions.

Chris

Logged Logged
Go to top
  • Page:
Please update your Flash Player to view content.